Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Hardship withdrawal statement

While I have had my disability for awhile now, I suffered from a medication mix up last quarter that cost me the ability to concentrate. I have still not fully recovered. While we are experimenting with meds I have noticed that I have not gotten it back, things that used to be simple for me such as reading a book are now hard. (I have yet to finish a short story more then 3 pages long.) This new development has made concentrating on my studies near impossible and while I was getting good grades before, I am not now. Winter quarter has always been the hardest for me as I also suffer from Seasonal Affectedness Disorder. Combine my newly found inability to concentrate with the hardest quarter of the year for me, and the hardest classes I've taken and I can't keep up. I've missed about 5 days of school so far this quarter and foresee missing a lot more. This was a decision I thought long and hard about, and together with my therapist and David from disAbility Resources I have decided that what is best for me is to continue working with my doctor to find the right combination of medications, and to take care of myself this quarter. I have also created a plan that has me taking winter quarter off for the rest of my time here, and to possibly substitute summer quarter instead. Although this is a pre-existing condition, as I continue to cope with it new problems arise. This was a very unexpected and unwelcome turn of events for me, and I hope that the break this affords me will leave me refreshed for spring quarter. Having a stress related disorder makes the additional stressor of little to no sunlight unbearable for me. I hope that you will understand that this is not a decision I have made lightly, but one that has taken awhile for me to come to terms with. I'm still learning how to deal with my disability, and this is one of the paths I must take to ensure (relative) sanity and peace of mind.

2 comments:

Breena Ronan said...

Ever thought of moving someplace sunnier? I wouldn't want to live in Cascadia because it's too dreary in the winter.

Anonymous said...

I think taking winters off is a good idea. It sounds like you are making plans and coping well. Take care of yourself. *hugs*

Sitemeter