Monday, May 14, 2007

Kind of sexist? KIND OF??!!!

From the Chicago Tribune:
Store manager Allison Worrell and I agree that it's kind of sexist to call the packet of female overnight necessities the "Shame on You Kit" ($28) while the guy's version of similar items is labeled "Clean Getaway Kit" ($30). Each contains undies, condoms, toothbrush and such and -- this is a nice touch -- a little blank "leave behind note" to fill in with some sweet nothings.

A "Shame on you" kit? Obviously any woman who needs one of these is having a dirty, dirty affair, but the guy who needs one of these is obviously a stud who's having a fun weekend fling.

Of course this is playing into the whole idea that women who want sex are dirty sluts. I don't know any woman who doesn't have hang ups from the bullshit virgin/whore dichotomy. As women we're supposed to be ashamed of having a sex drive, but one has to wonder just who all these 'studly' men are supposed to be having sex with. (Oh, right, I forgot: whores and sluts, not nice women who only begrudgingly give in to the animal urges of the men they are in relationships with.)

Lesson from teh patriarchy today: women should be ashamed of sex where men should celebrate it, but I think we all all ready knew that.

8 comments:

The Fabulous Kitty Glendower said...

Many years a man tried to pick me up in a night club. When he reached forward to take a sip of his drink, he had a toothbrush and tube of toothpaste in his jacket pocket. For some reason it turned me off instantly.

The Fabulous Kitty Glendower said...

Many years "ago." Too fast for my own good.

Anonymous said...

It's stupid marketing to boot. Who's going to buy something called 'Shame on You' BEFORE they do whatever they're calling shameful.

TL

lost clown said...

I know I would never buy something labelled "Shame on you"

Anonymous said...

Grr!

That's soooo frustrating. I can't get over how blatant that sexism is!!!!!!!!!!!!

Liz said...

Actually, it's the Clean Getaway that I find so disgusting. It implies that the man has done wrong to the woman and now he can leave her behind (pun intended).

lost clown said...

That's a really good point. I was hung up on the 'Shame on You' kit I forgot to even think about that. It's so gross. *shudder*

lost clown said...

e.k. ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Sitemeter