Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Happy plant blogging

Meet Harold, the first plant I bought for my apartment. I was feeling depressed and I thought, hey, I know what will make me happy: a rubber tree plant! I love them so much.


Plants I need to name. Anyone know what the name of the plant on the left? I know the other two are Hens and Chicks.


My New Guinea Impatiens. I haven't named it yet, but I think it needs one.


The Love Lies Bleeding (on the left) does not have a name because I like it's name so much.


This is Melvin, my birthday present. (I have a thing for carnivorous plants). I've been told that I like to name my plants "old man names," but I really like the names of my plants.


Happy day!

7 comments:

Rebecca said...

Awesome! I love your plants! And btw I think Melvin is the perfect name for a plant. I had a male holly bush in my yard in Illinois that I named Melvin.

Mithel said...

Ooooh, pretty. The Love Lies Bleeding is fantastic. Never heard of that plant before.

Anonymous said...

Lovely plants, Lost Clown!

Anonymous said...

The pale blue gray stonecrop, sitting next to the Sempervivum, is probably Sedum brevifolium. We grow it outdoors as a ground cover in extremely well drained soil in the Pacific NW.
Love Lies Bleeding is an Amaranth. The leaves can be cooked like spinach and the grain is very high in protein.
thebewilderness

Jen @ Light Enough to Travel said...

I was going to say... probably a kind of Sedum. Thebewilderness beat me to it! Yay for plant nerdity.

Anonymous said...

Do you feed Melvin with meat too? Only water isn't enough, right?

Anonymous said...

The white plant next to the Hens and Chicks is commonly called "Dusty Miller," which is referring to someone who milled flour.

Sitemeter